7.5 hours approximately
Cusco Downtown hotel
Cusco Downtown hotel
- Witness the typical textile techniques of Chinchero and its archaeological site.
- Visit the enigmatic Moray site and the salt ponds in Maras.
- Tour through Ollantaytambo ruins and Pisac archaeological site.
What is and what is not included
FULL DAY 1ST PART
Cusco - Maras - Urubamba
We will start in the morning collecting you from your Cusco downtown hotel (if your hotel is distant, then a schedule and meeting point will be assigned) and then head to Chinchero town (3762 mts/12342.5 ft) where we will see the archaeological complex of Chinchero will also appreciate and also see the exhibition of the loom of the villagers with their typical costumes of the area where they will show us how they perform these using natural colors and with that they make the different garments using these ancestral techniques.
Then, we will head to Moray (3500 mts/11482.9 ft), which was possibly an Inca agricultural research center where crop experiments were carried out at different heights, the layout of its platforms produces a gradient of microclimates, the center of the concentric circular platforms having a higher temperature and gradually reducing outwards at lower temperatures.
Continuing the tour, we will head to Maras salt mines (3000 mts/9842.5 ft). They are formed by about 3000 small wells with an approximate area of about 5 m². In times of drought these are filled with salt water that comes from a natural spring that is located above the wells, when the water evaporates the salt crystallizes. When the salt reaches about 10 cm high from the floor it will be removed and then packed in cloth sacks and sent to the markets of the region. Nowadays, that salt is being iodized by state standards. From there we head to Urubamba to have lunch on your own.
FULL DAY 2ND PART
Ollantaytambo - Pisaq - Cusco
Afterwards, we will visit the majestic ruins of the town of Ollantaytambo (2792 mts/9160.1 ft), in the Sacred Valley of the Incas. The archaeological complex of Ollantaytambo was a military, religious and agricultural center. This fabulous architectural setting is exceptionally interesting, due to the size, originality and detail of its structures.
Finally, it is time to explore Pisac ruins (3400 mts/11154.9 ft). In this enclosure you will find ceremonial baths, a residential settlement, and the largest known Inca cemetery, the oldest in South America. The ruins are surrounded by large agricultural terraces that blend harmoniously with the curvature of the mountain. And we will also visit the typical town of Pisaq (2972 mts/9750.7 ft) where the traditional market is located in the part Central of the Plaza. At the end of the visit you will be returned to Cusco (19:00 pm approx.)
- Services require a minimum of participants, then are subject to availability.
- It is possible to include a buffet lunch for an additional cost. Please consult with your travel advisor in case you are interested.
- Bring comfortable clothes (rain coat or rain poncho, warm clothes, sunglasses, sunblock, hat)
- Do not forget to bring your camera to capture the best photos!
- Bring some cash (preferably soles) to buy diverse curious souvenirs and to acquire your entrance fees.