08 hours approximately
Chachapoyas Downtown hotel
Chachapoyas Downtown hotel
- Admire the ancient city in the clouds and marvel with its complex structure and location.
- Live a unique experience with spectacular views aboard the only cable cars in Peru.
- Learn more about the incredible pre-Inca culture, the Chachapoyas.
What is and what is not included
- Drop off to hotels downtown in Chachapoyas.
- All entrance fees.
- Bilingual service (English/Spanish speaking tour guide)
- Lunch at a local restaurant.
- Horses for riding (PEN 30.00 per horse approx., not advisable to hire on rainy days as the roads are very slippery)
Kuelap The Fortress Citadel
In the morning (08:00 am approx.) we will pick you up from your Chachapoyas hotel (2350 mts/7709.9 ft) and go to Kuelap, a majestic architectural site built by the Chachapoyas culture. On our way, we will make a brief stop for a panoramic view of the Macro Archaeological site, also known as «Macro Towers» for its characteristic design and is located on the right bank of the Utcubamba River on a hill surrounded by cacti and other endemic plants.
Then we will arrive at Nuevo Tingo town (1980 mts/6496.1 ft), where the boarding platform of the cable car is located and 10 minutes away from the Departure Platform. The cable car will transfer you to Malca, where you will start the visit to the Kuelap Fortress, you will walk up for a period of approximately 30 min until you reach the entrance of Kuelap (3000 mts/9842.5 ft), which is built on top of the Cerro Barreta.
Kuelap is a place surrounded by beautiful landscapes; at first, it seems inaccessible since it is protected by colossal walls and cliffs on three of its four sides. It has three platforms, and inside they have circular buildings decorated with rhomboidal and zigzag friezes. Its complex interior architecture, indicates it was a well-organized population group. The surrounding landscape and the natural scenarios makes it unforgettable. We will return to Nuevo Tingo town for lunch. Then return to Chachapoyas city (16:00 pm approx.)
- Please check your exact travel dates, since services are subject to the operability control and maintenance of cable cars, and it is usually not available on Mondays (http://www.telecabinaskuelap.com/assets/doc/Calendario_Operativo_2019_TK1.pdf)
- It is important that clients keep their cable car tickets throughout the service as it is the control measure for accessing to buses and cable cars. In case of loss it will be necessary to purchase another ticket.
- Bring comfortable clothes (rain coat or rain poncho, light clothes, sunglasses, sunblock, hat)
- Keep all of your entrances with you from the beginning of the trek
- Do not forget to bring your camera to capture the best photos!
- Bring some extra cash (preferably in soles) for your extra expenses.