08 hours approximately
Trujillo downtown hotel
Trujillo downtown hotel
- Learn about the gorgeous colonial city of Trujillo.
- Explore the largest city of the pre-Columbian era in South America.
- Understand more about pre-Columbian cultures at Trujillo University Museum.
What is and what is not included
- Drop off to hotels downtown in Trujillo.
- All entrance fees.
- English-speaking tour guide.
- Lunch at a local restaurant.
FULL DAY - 1ST PART
City Tour Trujillo
Today you will stroll around Trujillo city (34 mts/111.5 ft) with its lovely colonial mansions and get marveled with the well-preserved and imposing portals, balconies and churches. You will also appreciate the Plaza Mayor and the Freedom Monument, a baroque marble sculpture, designed by the german artist Edmundo Muller.
Then, you will continue the tour towards the Archaeological Museum of Trujillo National University for an overview of the region’s pre-Columbian cultures. Its main objective is to show the development of the historic process on the north coast, from the arrival of the first inhabitants, about 12,000 years ago, until the arrival of the European conquerors in 1532.
FULL DAY - 2ND PART
Hunchaco & Chan Chan
ater you will visit the “Dragon ceremonial Temple” (90 mts/295.3 ft), which is surrounded by a wall of 60 to 54 meters on each side. Its decoration is dedicated to the Rainbow, as a symbol of fertility and rainfall by the Chimú culture. Afterwards you will have a ride to the seaside town of Huanchaco (23 mts/75.5 ft) and watch the local fishermen on their traditional “Caballitos de Totora” (rafts used by fishermen on the Peruvian north coast since pre-Columbian times)
After lunch, admire the ancient and biggest mud-brick City of Chan Chan (35 mts/114.8 ft), once the proud capital of the Chimú Kingdom. This city groups 10 walled citadels of the ancient Chimu culture, which is why it is listed as the largest adobe building in America. In its walls they stand out decorated in high relief with beautiful figures engraved in varied forms: geometric figures, birds, fish, among others.
Finally, you will be returned to your downtown hotel.
- Services have daily departures except for Mondays.
- The City Tour will be panoramic only (without accessing to certain attractives) on Saturdays and Sundays as museums are closed.
- Bring comfortable clothes (light clothes, sunglasses, sunblock, hat)
- Do not forget to bring your camera to capture the best photos!
- Bring some cash (preferably in soles) to buy diverse and curious souvenirs