Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu 5 Days – Daily Departures
Salkantay trek to Machu Pícchu 5 Days from: $399.00
The Peru & U Advantages
Our Salkantay Trek to Machu Pichu includes all the services than the others and our Extra Services at an Incredible Price, What does all of this mean? It means you simply get more for your money with Peru & U.
- Small Group Tour, 12 People Maximum
- One booking, One Tree, Every time you make a booking, we plant a Tree!
- Comfortable Camping Class.
- Warm and comfortable tents
- Assistance 24/7 since the moment you book with us.
- You’ll have an escorted guide who will make sure you’ll have a memorable trek to Machu Picchu!
- All transfers, and tours with English/Spanish speaking guides.
Day 0: Trek Orientation
Two nights before the Salkantay trek to Machu Picchu you will receive a complete briefing about your tour at your hotel, Meet and greet with other members of our group, Our Guide is going to explain day by day the itinerary and solve all the questions you may have.
1st Day: Cusco – Soraypampa (L, D)
We will leave Cusco at 5:o0 am and head towards Marcoccasa (3400m/11154f), passing the village Mollepata (3000m/9843f). In Marcoccasa we will meet the horsemen and the rest of the group and start our trek. We start hiking within a magnificent valley, surrounded by the most important snow-capped mountains such as the Humantay (5217m/17116f) and the Salkantay (6264m/20551f). Our campsite will be at Soraypampa (3700m/12139f).
- Climate: cold
- Transport time: 4 hours
- Hiking time: 6 hours
2nd Day: Sorayapampa – Salkantay pass – Challway (B, L, D)
Continuing with your Salkantay trek to Machu pícchu, After breakfast, we will set off towards the Salkantay Pass (4600m/15092f) which offers an exceptional view of the snow-capped Salkantay (6264m). Thereafter, we will descend again and will have time to enjoy the increasing vegetation of the ecosystem. Our camp site will be in Challway (3000m/9842f), amidst the tropical forest with warm climate.
- Hiking time: 8-9 hours
3rd Day: Challway – Wiñaypoco – La Playa – Lucmabamba (B, L, D)
The third day is dedicated to the region’s flora and its plantations. After descending to a dimmed forest and enjoying the diversity of species of orchids, bromelains and many other plants, we will see coffee-, cacao- and fruit-plantations. Moreover, we will have the pleasure to meet local families of Wiñaypoco (2650m/8694f) and La Playa (2100m/6890f). Our camping site will be in Lucmabamba.
- Hiking time: 6 hours
- Note: According to the group’s wishes, it is possible to change the itinerary a bit and visit the hot springs in Santa Teresa (1830m/6004f) this day.
4th Day: La Playa – Llactapata – Aguas Calientes Town (B, L, D)
Early in the morning, our trail leads us to the archeological complex of Llactapata (2650m/8694f) located amidst an eclectic array of vegetation. From here, we will have a beautiful view of the mountain Machu Picchu. Afterwards, we will continue down to the hydroelectric station (1950m/6398f). Here we will take the train towards Aguas Calientes (2050m/6726f), where we will spend the night in a local hostel.
- Climate: warm with some insects
- Hiking time: 6 hours
5th Day: Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Cusco (B)
We will leave our hotel after breakfast at 5:30 am and head for Machu Picchu (2400m/7874f) by tourist bus. We will arrive at the citadel around 6:00 am. After a guided tour around the archeological site, including information about life and culture of the Incas, you will have enough time to enjoy Machu Picchu and Wayna Picchu (2750m/9022f) on your own. We will leave Aguas Calientes by train either at 2:55 pm or at 6:45 pm. Until then, you will have time to have lunch in one of the nice restaurants. Moreover, you can visit the hot springs in Aguas Calientes to relax a bit.
- Hiking time: 03 hours
End of our services.
HOW LONG IS THE TREK?
5 days, 50 KM
WHAT SITES ARE VISITED?
Marcoccasa, Soraypampa, Limatambo, Salkantay Pass, Santa Teresa, Challway, Wiñaypoco, La Playa, Llactapata, Sahuayaco Aguas Calientes, Machu Picchu
from 1 to 12 people
- 3 nights Camping
- 1 night Hostel in Aguas Calientes
Salkantay Trail 5 days Elevation
What do you need to bring?
Backpack with rain shelter, sleeping bag, clothing for warm and cold climate like a waterproof jacket, rain pants and lightweight pants, trekking shoes, slippers or sandals (for showers and hot springs), woolen or synthetic socks, a sweater, long- and short-sleeved polo/t-shirts, a rain poncho, a hat, bathing suit (for the hot springs in Aguas Calientes), sunscreen, insect repellent, disinfecting alcohol and gel, water bottle and sterilizing tablets, toiletries and toilet paper, camera (wrapped in plastic bag), a flash light and batteries, some snacks like chocolate bars and dry fruit, original passport, original ISIC student card and extra money in soles.
Date and Prices
Daily Departures, Price per person based a double/Twin Accommodations in US dollars valid for all 2017 and 2018.
|Daily dapartures||Ready?||Questions?||Price per person|
|Backpacker class||Contact Us||$399.00|
|Standard class||Contact Us||$588.00|
If you wish Hotels Nights, Flights, extra Tours in Peru and Bolivia, are bookable by Peru & U, please let us know.
|Price per person|
|Single Supplement at Standard Class for the 4th night (Mandadtory)||$45.00|
|Huayna Picchu Unguided Extension||$29.00|
|Train Upgrade, Optional||$69.00|
|Hotel Upgrade to 3stars, Optional (for Backpacker class only)||$65.00|
Details of your Salkantay trek to Machu Picchu:
- If you go to high altitudes you may suffer “Soroche” (altitude sickness), bring diamox or ask your doctor for advice, just in case.(See more details).
- Checked-in luggage weight limit on domestic flights is 20 kg (44.09 lb). The fee for excess luggage is US$1.8 per kilo.
- Carry-on luggage for domestic flights cannot exceed 8 kg (17.64 lb).
- Insurance against theft, loss, illness and/or accident.
- In addition to your carry-on, you can bring with you a personal item such as a purse, a lap top, a video camera or a diaper bag (when traveling with an infant).
- The rate for tips is at your discretion.
- The exchange rate is about 3 soles per dollar.
- Airport taxes for international flights are $30.25, payable at the airport.
- We will assist you in every step of your trip, so please feel free to call us at any time, day or night, if necessary.
- We reserve the right to make changes in the schedule of the trip without prior notice, due to changes in climate conditions, river water levels, flight or bus arrival and departure times or any other unforeseeable reason that may develop, in order to make the best of the trip.
- We would be pleased to arrange additional free days to your tour, if you so desire, in order to give you more time to explore things, or places that may be of particular interest to you
- Visit to Huayna Picchu: For Huayna Picchu mountain requires to be booked long time in advance however we charge additional $ 29.00 USD and then we’ll guarantee your entrance for Huayna Picchu as well
- Tips for porters, cooks and guides are always welcome. The porters are also very grateful for a small donation, for example clothes or school equipment for their children.
Conditions & Terms:
- Please note that the program deposit is non-refundable. The deposit is used to purchase the ticket entrance to the Inca Trail, Machu Picchu and also the entrance for the porters (they will carry just camping equipment and the food for the trek), and once a space is purchased it cannot be resold.
- Peru & U will not give any refunds if a participant decides to cancel the trip prior to departure or during the trip (except from the entrances to the archaeological sites and the bus/train tickets)
- If Peru & U doesn’t confirm the reservation, your payment will be refunded totally.
- All participants have to carry their own day back packs,
- A participant must declare if he/she has any sickness or medical disorder and must bring his/her own medicines.
- All participants must bring their original passport and, if available, their original student card ´ISIC´.
- It is compulsory that all clients have personal travel insurance. This insurance must cover personal accident, medical expenses, loss of effects and all other expenses which might arise as a result of loss, damage or injury occurring to the client. Peru & U cannot be accounted for any accident or loss of personal belongings the customer caused by his/her own.
- In case force majeure occurs, like impossibility to operate the program or trek due to unusual or unforeseen circumstances outside Peru & U’ control like: extreme weather conditions, landslides, strikes not allowing operation or putting it at risk, sudden inaccessibility of route, etc. Peru & U will propose viable solutions to operate the program within the available dates, or if impossible, will then propose an alternative program. If the alternative program chosen by the client is of lower value than that originally booked then the client is entitled to a refund of the price difference. All costs derived will be at the expense of the client. In case none of these would be feasible, Peru & U would refund all the money paid except all the incurred expenses so far. General information and recommendations
- Reservation: Since the number of trekking permits is limited to 500 per day (about 200 tourists and 300 trekking staff) it is important to book well in advance – especially in the high season between May and September. In the low season between December and January, it is possible to get a ticket about 20 days in advance.
- Passport details: Please make sure that your passport is valid for the time you intend doing the Inca Trail. Furthermore, assure that the passport’s details you send us via email, such as the passport’s number, your name etc., are correct. Changes on short notice will complicate the entrance to Machu Picchu.
- Travel Insurance: It is compulsory that all clients have personal travel insurance. This insurance must cover personal accident, medical expenses, loss of effects and all other expenses which might arise as a result of loss, damage or injury occurring to the client. Peru & U cannot be accounted for any accident or loss of personal belongings the customer caused by his/her own actions.
- Porters: The Porters will only carry general camping equipment. Backpacks, sleeping bags, mattresses and additional equipment must be carried by the customer. However, if you wish to have a personal porter, this can be arranged. Please let us know in your reservation. Tips for the porters are always welcome.
- Camping sites: The camping sites on the journey to Machu Picchu can vary from those described in our brochure. This is because some camping sites are already booked out, depending how far in advance a client books. In this case, the INC (Instituto Nacional de Cultura), supervising all agencies that offer the Inca Trail, will assign a camping site.
- Return ticket: We will leave Aguas Calientes by train either at 18:20 pm or at 19:00 pm. This depends on the ticket availability and on how far in advance you booked your trip. During the afternoon, you will have time to have lunch in one of the nice restaurants in Aguas Calientes. Moreover, you can visit the hot springs to relax a bit. You will be back in your hotel either at about 10:00 pm.
- Your health: It is a common misconception that because many people do the Inca Trail it must be easy. It is not. The trail is 45km (26 miles) long and involves great physical exertion to complete. Combined with high altitude and extreme weather the trek can be hard work. Therefore, we strongly recommend ensuring that you are well acclimatized, in good shape and healthy. Hence, you will enjoy your trip from the beginning on. o A participant must declare if he/she has any sickness or medical disorder and must bring his/her own medicines.
Include / Not Include
OUR PRICE INCLUDES
- 1 night in Aguas Calientes at Kantu Hostel for Backpacker Class
- 1 night in Aguas Calientes at an 3 star hotel for Standard Class
- 3 nights at camping.
- Porterage during the trek, 7 Kilos maximum
- Standard train ticket to Cusco.
- Credit card processing tax
- duffle bags
- 1 Liter of boiled water daily
- All entrance fees and permits
- Meals indicated on itinerary (B, L, D)
- All overland transfers indicated
- Modern trekking and camping equipment.
- All meals cooked on the spot with fresh ingredients by our trained cook.
- English-speaking guides with knowledge of archeological sites along the Inca Trail.
- All transfers and excursions as per itinerary with English speaking guide
- Oxygen bottle and first-aid kits
- Sleeping bags for Standard class only
- Walking poles for Standard class only
- Bus ticket from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu ruins and to Aguas Calientes, (round trip) for Standard class only
OUR PRICE DOES NOT INCLUDE
- International and domestic flights, or airport taxes
- Bus ticket from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu ruins and to Aguas Calientes, (round trip)
- walking sticks
- Personal expenses
- sleeping bags
- Huayna picchu permit (subject to availability)
- Meals not mentioned
- Travel insurance
Inca Trail Map