Peru Alternative Adventure Tour – 12 Days
PERU ALTERNATIVE ADVENTURE TOUR 12 DAYS
Lima – Sacred Valley rafting and biking – Cusco – Alternative inca trail to Machupicchu – Lake Titicaca
This alternative route to the classic Inca Trail will take you on a journey through amazing landscapes decorated with gorgeous flora and fauna endemic of this special region. The trek involves crossing valleys and scaling mountians before arriving to Machu Picchu, the lost city of the Incas.
- Altitude: 1950 – 4600m. / 6398 – 15092 f.
- High Season: April – November
- Duration: 5 days / 4 nights
- Level of Difficulty: Moderate
- Route: Closed in February *A minimum of 2 people are needed for this trek
DAY 1: ARRIVE LIMA.
A View Peru staff member will greet you at the airport, answer any questions you may have about your trip, and then transfer you to the hotel of your choosing. You have the remainder of they day to relax and enjoy this diverse city.
DAY 2: LIMA – CUSCO (B)
After a breakfast at your hotel, you will be transferred to the airport for your one hour flight to Cusco. Another knowledgeable staff member will greet you at the airport and transfer you to the hotel of your choosing. Use today to acclimatize to the altitude and to explore the city at your leisure. Your hotel will be within walking distance of a multitude of attractions – the Plaza de Armas, museums, and historic buildings as well as surrounded by the diverse culinary scene of downtown Cusco.
DAY 3: RIVER RAFTING THE URUBAMBA RIVER – PISAQ (B,L)
In the morning we will pick you up at your hotel to drive about one and a half hours to the departure point for rafting on the shore of the Urubamba River at our private camp, “Cusipata River Camp”. Our professional rafting guides will give you a tutorial for your adventure and prep you on safety, as well as provide you with all the proper equipment for rafting.The trip will take about two and a half hours, braving through Class II and III rapids, however, in the rainy season (Dec. -March) the rapids can easily be class IV or higher, so this is sure to be an adrenaline pumping trip. At the end of the trip, we will end at the departure point camp where a steaming hot sauna and hot showers will be waiting to warm you up. You will be treated to a full course lunch, and you have to option to do a zip-line trip over four cables across the river. You will return to Cusco at around 5:00pm where you will have the night at your leisure, and you can look at the pictures of your rafting adventure in our office.
DAY 4: MOUNTAIN BIKING TO MORAY AND MARAS OPTIONAL (B,L)
We will pick you up at your hotel in Cusco at 9:00am to bring you on a 30 minute ride to the town of Chinchero where you will start your mountain biking excursion. This small, charming village retains the Inca layout of streets and still has several buildings dating back to pre-Colombian times. From Chinchero, we head towards Lake Huaypo to come accross the agricultural ruins of Moray, the colonial village of Moras, and finally the amazing salt pans of Maras. These expansive salt pans were used by the Incas to extract salt from a salinated spring on the mountainside and also the mines were used for precious mineral collection when the Spanish arrived. We will complete our trip on a beautiful descent into the village of Urubamba at the bottom of the valley and along the sacred Vilcanota river. This is a fairly easy excursion of about 35km bicycling that will bring you through rural farming villages and secluded areas you would not see any other way. After this unforgettable journey, our car will bring you back to your hotel in Cusco around 4:00pm.
Day 5: CUSCO – MOLLEPATA (MARCOCCASA) – SORAYPAMPA (L, D)
At 5:30am our group will leave Cusco, passing the village of Mollepata (3000m/9843ft) before heading towards Marcoccasa (3400m/11154ft). In Marcoccasa, we will meet the horsemen and the rest of our group to start the trek. Our journey begins hiking through a magnificent valley surrounded by amazing snow-capped mountains such as Humantay (5217m/17116ft) and Salkantay (6264m/20551ft). Our campsite will be at the scenic Soraypampa (3700m/12139ft).
- Climate: cold
- Transport time: 4 hours
- Hiking time: 6 hours
DAY 6: SORAYAPAMPA – SALKANTAY PASS – CHALLWAY (B, L, D)
After an early breakfast, our second day will be hiking towards Salkantay Pass (4600m/15092ft). This challenging hike gives us a great view of the looming, snow-capped Salkantay (6264m/2055ft). We will continue on to descend, which will give you time to enjoy the increasingly diverse and numerous vegetation in this lush environment. Our camp will be in Challway (3000m/9842ft), in the comfortingly warm tropical forest climate, amidst rich greenery, and plenty of mosquitoes as company – be sure you remember protection!
- Hiking time: 8-9 hours
DAY 7: CHALLWAY – WIÑAYPOCO – LA PLAYA (B, L, D)
The third day on this alternative Inca trail showcases the region’s gorgeous flora and sprawling plantations. We will descend to a dense forest to enjoy its great diversity of orchids, bromelains, and various other colorful exotic plants. From here will will continue on to view expansive coffee, cacao and fruit plantations on this fertile, secluded land. Your trek will travel through the villages of Wiñaypoco (2650m/8694ft) and La Playa (2100m/6890ft) where you will have the opportunity to meet local families. Our camping site will be in the warm village of La Playa.
- Hiking time: 6 hours
- Climate: Warm during the day with insects
- Note: If your group would like, it is possible to change the itinerary in order to visit the hot springs in Santa Teresa (1830m/6004ft) today.
DAY 8: LA PLAYA – LLACTAPATA – AGUAS CALIENTES TOWN (B, L)
Our slightly uphill morning trek leads us to the archeological site of Llactapata (2650m/8694ft), which is located within a diverse forest of greenery and colorful flora. From this site we have an excellent view of the distant mountain of Machu Picchu. After taking in this beautiful view, our route will continue down to the hydroelectric station (1950m/6398ft) where the train to Aguas Calientes stops. Here you will have to option of taking the train (extra payment) or continuing to walk with the group to Aguas Calientes (2050m/6726ft), where we will spend the night in the hotel.
- Climate: Warm with some insects
- Hiking time: 6 hours
DAY 9: AGUAS CALIENTES – MACHU PICCHU – CUSCO (B)
We will leave your hotel at 5:30am, after breakfast and head to the famed destination of Machu Picchu (2400m/7874ft) by tourist bus to arrive at the site around 6:00am. You will get an informative guided tour around the archeological site, including information about the life and culture of the Inas, and the significance of the specific structures you will see. After your tour, you will have free time to explore the ruins on your own, as well as hike Wayna Picchu (2750m/9022ft) where you will get the best view of Machu Picchu and the surrounding areas. We will leave Aguas Calientes on either the 2:55pm or 6:45pm train. While waiting for the train you can have lunch at one of the many great restaurants in Aguas Calientes, or visit the hot springs in town to ease your aching body from your trek.
- Hiking time: 2 hours
DAY 10: CUSCO – PUNO – LAKE TITICACA (B, L)
After breakfast at your hotel in Cusco, you will be picked up and transferred to the bus station to board the tourist bus to Puno. This bus is great because you will make five stops along the way, breaking up the trip and seeing many sites in the rural antiplano. You will visit the Sistine Chapel of America, Andahuailinnas, and the Wirachocha temple Raqchi-Time for a buffet lunch. Along the way you will see gorgeous landscapes of the altiplano, and have opportunities to see alpacas and vicuñas in their natural habitats. At the highest point of the journey, La Raya (4319m) the bus will stop for great photo opportunities, and finally a stop at the Pukara Museum before you reach Puno where you will be transferred to your hotel. Use this free day to acclimatize to the high altitude (3,800m) of Puno.
(OPTIONAL: You can opt to fly from Cusco to Juliaca and then transfer to Puno for an added cost)
DAY 11: LAKE TITICACA (B, L)
Breakfast at your hotel to get you ready for your full day tour of Lake Titicaca, the highest navigable lake in the world. The first stop on the tour will be to the floating reed islands of Uros. Here, the community members will show you how the islands were built and then will take you on a short trip on one of their hand-made reed boats. From Uros, we will travel to Taquile, a gorgeous island where the locals live as they have been for centuries using small scale agriculture and animals. A guide will walk you around the island before bringing you to where you will have a traditional lunch. You will be transferred back to Puno, arriving late in the afternoon.
(OPTIONAL: It is possible for you to stay the night on the island in one of the families homes, this is a special experiencee that will really show you the lifestyles of the island people. Keep in mind, the houses are very rustic, which is part of their charm!)
DAY 12: PUNO – JULIACA – LIMA (B)
After breakfast in your Puno hotel, you will be transferred to the airport in Juliaca for your flight back to Lima. In Lima you will be transferred to your international flight home. .
End of our Services
Price per person based in US dollars, on 2 sharing a double room according the hotel category:
Please contact us for more details
View the hotels Here
EXTRAS AND UPGRADES AVAILABALE
- Air Bed for the inca trail: $29.00
- Upgrade to Confortable Inca Trail Portion: $269.00
- Extra Mule: $130.00
- Huayna Picchu Ticket: $19.00
- Machu Picchu Mountain Ticket: $75.00
- A pair of walking sticks: $19.00
- Backpack: $15.00
- Upgrade to Expedition direct train to Cusco: $49.00
- Upgrade to Vistadome direct train to Cusco: $69.00
- Extra nights, extra tickets, Flights and excursion can be provided, please ask for details
INCA TRAIL ELEVATION
WHAT SITES ARE VISITED?
Lima, Cusco, Ollantaytambo, Llactapata, Wayllabamba, Yuncachimpa, Warmihuañusca, Runkurakay, Phuyupatamarca, Wiñay Wayna, Inti Punku, Machu Picchu, Aguas Calientes
from 5 to 30 people, every 8 people has guide during the inca trail
INCA TRAIL MAP
3 nights camping (Basic facilities included, except sleeping bag), 4 nights in a standard hotel in Cusco, 1 night in a standard Aguas Calientes, hotel2 night in a standard Puno hotel and 1 night in a standard Lima hotel
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO BRING?
Backpack with rain shelter, sleeping back, clothing for warm and cold climate like a waterproof jacket,rain pants and lightweight pants, trekking shoes, slippers or sandals (for showers and hot springs), woolen or synthetic socks, a sweater, long- and short-sleeved polo’s/t-shirts, a rain poncho, a hat, bathing suit (for the hot springs in Aguas Calientes), sunscreen, insect repellent, disinfecting alcohol and gel, water bottle and sterilizing tablets, toiletries and toilet paper, camera (wrapped in plastic bag), a flash light and batteries, some snacks like chocolate bars and dry fruit, original passport, original ISIC student card and extra money in soles.
Includ/ No Include
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN OUR INCREDIBLE PRICES?
- All pick-ups and transfers and tours as indicated in group service with English speaking guides.
- Private transfer from your hotel in Cusco to Mollepata
- 8 Hotel Nights
- 3 camping nights
- 5 kilos carried by a mule
- sleeping bags
- Tourist train from Aguas Calientes to Cusco (Poroy)/or Ollantaytambo and bus to Cusco
- Bus going downhill from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes where the train station is situated.
- Transfer from the train station in Cusco to your hotel in Cusco
- Entrance fees to the Inca trail and Machu Picchu
- Professional bilingual guide (Spanish and English)
- Camping equipment (professional two-persons tents: Doite, model Cima 4, extra light/4kg, Doite, model Kailas 3, extra light/4.5kg and Doite, model Himalaya, extra light/4.5kg; sleeping mats, dining tent equipped with a table and chairs, a sanitary tent)
- Cook, cooking equipment, meals (3 breakfasts, 3 lunches and 3 dinners). Food includes pancakes, omelets, soups, fresh fruit and spaghetti, chicken, fish, meat and rice, all rich in carbohydrates and very suitable for trekking, hot drinks including coca leafs tea which is excellent for the altitude
- Tea and snack time everyday (tea, coffee, wantan, popcorn, cracker)
- Porters to carry the main luggage (all the equipment and cooking stock)
- First-aid kit and oxygen bottle
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED IN OUR INCREDIBLE PRICES?
- International air tickets to Peru and airport taxes (US$32 per person)
- Breakfast on the first day and last lunch in Aguas Calientes
- Meals not indicated.
- Domestic flights
- Additional expenses such as telephone bills, laundry, etc.
- Personal Travel Insurance.
DETAILS OF YOUR TRIP TO PERU:
- If you go to high altitudes you may suffer “Soroche” (altitude sickness), bring diamox or ask your doctor for advice, just in case.(See more details).
- Checked-in luggage weight limit on domestic flights is 20 kg (44.09 lb). The fee for excess luggage is US$1.8 per kilo.
- Carry-on luggage for domestic flights cannot exceed 8 kg (17.64 lb).
- Insurance against theft, loss, illness and/or accident.
- In addition to your carry-on, you can bring with you a personal item such as a purse, a lap top, a video camera or a diaper bag (when traveling with an infant).
- The rate for tips is at your discretion.
- The exchange rate is about 2.50 soles per dollar.
- Airport taxes for international flights are $30.25, payable at the airport.
- We will assist you in every step of your trip, so please feel free to call us at any time, day or night, if necessary.
- We reserve the right to make changes in the schedule of the trip without prior notice, due to changes in climate conditions, river water levels, flight or bus arrival and departure times or any other unforeseeable reason that may develop, in order to make the best of the trip.
- We would be pleased to arrange additional free days to your tour, if you so desire, in order to give you more time to explore things, or places that may be of particular interest to you
- Visit to Huayna Picchu: For Huayna Picchu mountain requires to be booked long time in advance however we charge additional $ 19.00 USD and then we’ll guarantee your entrance for Huayna Picchu as well
- Tips for porters, cooks and guides are always welcome. The porters are also very grateful for a small donation, for example clothes or school equipment for their children.